Peter,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter van Oene"
Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 3:51 PM
Subject: Re: iBGP full mesh ? [7:40741]

> inline

> >I know that's how Juniper defaults its BGP synch. I agree that synch
should
> >be disabled by default, really do not think people will put a non-bgp
> >speaking router in the middle of their network by design, of course,
unless
> >we are talking about using stuff like MPLS at the core and pushing BGP
out
> >to the edge.
> >
> >But I still do not like the fact that Juniper makes BGP synch
> >non-configurable, why not giving users the knob?
>
> Hi Kent.  Juniper makes routers positioned to play in SP networks. These
> networks generally maintain routing information for thousands of
> prefixes.  Pushing these large volumes of routing information into an IGP
> simply isn't a good idea.  In general, any redistribution in either
> direction between BGP and IGP's is frowned upon.  Many routing
> implementations will struggle greatly with 100k+ prefixes in OSPF (they
> don't fit in IS-IS).    I expect the folks at Juniper who wrote the BGP
> implementation were mostly concerned with things people actually use.

I hope I did not give the impression the I am even remotely behind the idea
of redistributing BGP into IGP.
This draft
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hermelin-ext-lsp-frags-03.txt
is trying to lift the 30K routes limit. I actually hope the authors will
give more explanation of the reasons they listed that can contribute to
exceeding this limit in the draft.

> I'm personally not aware of any situation where BGP synchronization would
> represent the best solution to a given problem.  To be honest, in the last
> bunch of years, the only place I've even heard the feature discussed has
> been in vendor certification forums where best practises (and reality for
> that matter) seem secondary to passing tests.

Agree, hope cisco can change the default to disable.

> Of note, building a BGP free core using MPLS for transport doesn't not
> create a situation where external routing information external to the AS
> needs to be passed into a non BGP routing domain in the same way that
using
> an IGP in the core would.
>
> Pete

As you mentioned here that they are not the same way, I assume you meant
that they are certainly not the same because if we have mpls at the core,
the only thing we need is IGP and mpls, there will be  no need for any
external information in the core, in that case they are, of course, not the
same. Hope I am not repeating or misreading you, maybe both? :-)

Thanks
Kent

> >Thanks
> >Kent