I currently manage a Large network (300) routers running OSPF and IPX.  When
I first got here the network was Proteon routers.  The routers were severely
limited in memory.  Think 2500's with 8Mb RAM. We had a Cisco 5500 w/ RSM in
the core and started to replace the Proteons with Bay ASN.  So we had a
Proteon/Cisco/Bay OSPF network.  The only vendor compatibility problems were
Proteon vs. everything else.  The Bay's and Cisco's worked together fine.
The IPX network is very large.  900 routes and 3500 SAP's.  The Bay couldn't
handle it.  Honestly they were underspec'd (done before I got here).  So the
customer decided to replace the Bay with Cisco.  We now have 2 7206VXR's in
the core and 300+ 2600's in the remotes with about 20 3600's in regional
centers.  I like OSPF because or all the built in tweaks with different
areas etc.

I know of a much larger network here locally running BGP and EIGRP.  You can
do lot's with EIGRP in terms of different AS's and summarization.  They have
done some innovative things with the network and it works very well.  In
essence they have made an EIGRP network look and behave like an OSPF
network.

I would also look at IS-IS.  It is a clean, neat protocol.  I know many who
aren't in the SP area are scared of IS-IS but it is a great protocol.  Think
OSPF without the Area 0 concept.  You create different Areas of L1 routers
and tie them together with L1/L2 routers.

The primary problem in any large network is memory consumption on the
routers.  If all the routers must maintain full routing tables you can eat
up a lot of memory.  Whether you go OSPF, EIGRP, or IS-IS, you need to
segment the network into logical summarization boundaries.  I would draw out
your network from a layer-2 perspective, find the logical boundaries for
summarization, and then see what works for a routing protocol.  In a poorly
designed large network it doesn't matter if you are running OSPF, EIGRP, or
IS-IS.

Have I done a good job of not answering your question???  Email me if you
want to discuss this further.

Bill Carter
CCIE 5022