The problem happens when the routers try to exchange database description
packets. One side can send packets that are too large for the other side to
receive. Then the routers never achieve adjacency. It's an infamous
problem. I was glad that Kevin brought it up. I was thinking we should have
mentioned it in that other thread about OSPF Hellos (although this problem
happens after the initial hellos).

More here:

Priscilla

At 11:33 AM 4/17/02, Kane, Christopher A. wrote:
> > The most frequently mismatched parameters relevant for OSPF
> > configuration
> > seem to be dead intervals & mtu sizes.
>
>OSPF doesn't care about MTU size.

Priscilla Oppenheimer