perhaps I am misunderstanding your answer.

a router always forwards based on the longest match. this is a requirement,
per RFC 1812.

if there are two or more routes in a routing table of the same prefix
length, then, in accordance with the rules regarding load sharing, more than
one route / interface can be used.

admin distance is the tiebreaker a ( Cisco ) router uses when determining
which routes of identical prefix length, but learned from different routing
protocols,  to place into the routing table in the first place.

John N's post on this topic is an excellent explanation of the two different
processes.

Chuck

""Jeff Smith""  wrote in message
> Sean, the longest match is the first characteristic considered.  So, using
> your example, IOS will choose the route that has the longest prefix match-
> only when they are the same will the decison come down to administratice
> distance between protocols.
>
> P.S.
> Due to your connections can I get some Red Sox tickets?
>

> >From: "Sean Wolfe"
> >To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >Subject: longest match vs. other metrics [7:41692]
> >Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 22:08:54 -0400
> >
> >Quick question, hope it's not too trivial:
> >
> >When a router decides to forward a packet based on the longest match
> >principle, does this supersede other factors?
> >
> >For example, if there is a route to network A via EIGRP, but a more
> >specific
> >route available via OSPF, does it choose OSPF because of longest match,
or
> >EIGRP because of lower administrative distance (90 vs. 110)?
> >
> >Thanks folks, fun reading your posts as always. Wish me luck as I take
BCSN