I would agree with you that it wouldn't load balance over paths with
differing ADs.  However, theoretically, you could have a dynamic route
learned via a routing protocol (having a given AD) and you could add a
static route with the same length (i.e. /24) and purposely set the AD to
match the one learned from the routing protocol and it would be installed in
the routing table along with the dynamic route and marked for load
balancing.  Anyone ever try this?  Or would the metric from the dynamic
route come into play there?  If the route with best AD gets put in the
routing table (among multiple routes with the same length), where does the
metric come into play?  (Wow... it's been a while since BSCN =)

But I would also agree that most of the time, usually load balancing usually
occurs over equal cost paths (and implied equal lengths as well) that are
learned from the same protocol (and thus have the same AD)

Mike W.