Rules based on RFC1812 with industry extensions:

1.  If route is not in table, add it.

2.  If route is more specific than one in the table, add it, keeping the old
     one.

3.  If the routes are of equal length, install the one with highest
preference
     (GateD, Juniper, Bay) or lowest AD (Cisco). Replace any route from
another
     source.

     On Cisco, if the routes are from a static source and have the same AD,
     add the new route to the table (up to maximum-paths) and mark it
eligible
     for load-sharing.

4.  If the routes are of the same AD/preference, and the protocol has a
metric,
     replace the one in the table if the new one has a lower metric.  If the
     metrics are the same, add the route and make it eligible for
load-sharing.