I was thinking about something this morning also, in Caslow's book he states
that the CCIE lab is modeled after a graduate school exam, designed to test
the students thought patterns and how well they think on their feet.
Questions that appear to address one issue may be designed to look that way,
when the testers are actually looking for something different.  Of course
there are little hints thrown in there I am sure, never taken the lab so I
don't know, but if practice scenarios are any measure the hints are very
subtle.  Maybe in a lab scenario it would be interesting to include in the
solution the way to decipher a question or questions, as well as give the
candidate an idea of what other possibly confusing questions they might see
in relation to that particular topic.