At 11:05 AM 4/20/02, Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:

>A way to approach this may be more a test engine presenting "word
>problems" and asking something subtly different than what CCIE
>written practice materials do. Those practice tests ask for a
>solution to the problem.  If the problem descriptions perhaps could
>be made a little more detailed, and the question is asked "what is
>significant about this problem that would make you choose a
>particular solution?" as distinct for asking about the problem
>itself, perhaps followed by a conventional question about the
>solution. I'll try to create some examples and post them.

That sounds like a good idea. In this way you could test that the person
understands methods and processes, not just specific situations.

>Let's take a networking parallel. What if the server people are
>having application response time problems, and start blaming the
>network.  You are called in by the IT manager, who, we shall assume,
>is quite network-literate. You do some tests, and turn to the manager
>and say "the TCP window size for this application do slow start and
>then grow normally."  What _negative_ information have I just
>conveyed about this being a network or host problem (there are
>several possible answers, all related)?

You have implied that the problem is not with the network. TCP starts in
slow start and then adjusts its window size based on congestion. You say
that the window grows "normally," which implies that congestion isn't a
major problem. The IT manager should start troubleshooting potential server
problems: slow disk, small cache, non-optimized database, that sort of thing.

This is just a guess, but hopefully on the right track of one of the
possible answers.

Priscilla

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com