Just some food for thought about those cost-of-living calculators.

>From my take, I get the feeling that those cost-of-living calculators, while
useful, really don't capture the complete picture.  While certainly it is
important to factor in the extra cost of living to, say, live in Silicon
Valley, you shouldn't go overboard with it either.

Let me explain.  Let's say that location A has twice the living costs (using
those calculators) compared to location B.  So you might draw the conclusion
that you must necessarily earn twice as much to live in A.  Well, not
exactly.

For example, I think of a lot of those living costs calculators are
predicated on somebody renting.  However, if you can figure out a way to
buy, then that reduces the impact of the higher cost of living, because part
of what you're paying for the mortgage goes to building home equity (this
does leave the problem of trying to come up with enough money for a down
payment, but that's a whole new discussion).  So if you can figure out a way
to own, you have somewhat mitigated the impact of the higher cost of living.

Similarly, although I admit this only grudgingly, higher taxes usually do
mean better services.  Now, I don't think the relationship is one-to-one,
but in general it is the case that if you are in a higher-tax state, you get
better services.  For example, the state of California has used part of its
high taxes (very high taxes) to build a public higher-education system that
is quite simply awesome - the University of California system really does
represent a killer financial deal for California college students.  So if
you have family members who want to attend school, this could be a
consideration for you.  The same thing is true for things like parks,
recreational areas, mass-transit systems, police/fire departments, or any
other government services. - the more taxes you pay, the more you get.  Now
don't get me wrong, from a philosophical point of view, I still believe in
low taxes.  But what I'm saying is that you do get back some of the tax
component that is a part of higher living costs, so that also somewhat
mitigates the higher living costs.

Obviously these factors don't completely mitigate the higher cost of living
in location A.  But some mitigation does take place - and how much
mitigation depends on whether you can own vs. rent, and how many of those
extra government services you take advantage of.

And it is also true that places that have an expensive cost of living are
usually expensive for a good reason.  Whether it has to do with a
historically good job market, or good weather, or exciting night-life, or
whatever, there's a reason why certain places are more expensive than
others.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not telling everybody to just pick up and move
to Silicon Valley, or Manhattan, or San Diego, or whatever.  I'm just saying
that you shouldn't rely dogmatically on those cost-of-living calculators to
determine whether you should move or not.