If one wishes for routing updates to bring up the link, can one not just use
the "passive-interface" command on the ISDN interface?

  If it is a backup link, passive interface will keep routing updates will
keep the link from coming up for updates.  Then a couple of floating static
routes on either end should bring it up if the primary (dynamic)link goes
down as long as the administrative distance for the floaters are greater
then that of OSPF.

--Tim