From: Kane, Christopher A. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2002 2:34 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: BGP Load Balancing Question [7:42469]

> Inbound/Outbound loads are out of wack....  what part of the
> BGP neigh stats
> do you want to see?

I'm referring to simply 'sh ip bgp sum', as this will show the amount of
prefixes that you receive on each connection. So if I've read all of the
threads correctly, you have 2 T1's at 2 physically separate locations but
the same provider. I still have more questions than answers at this point.
Are you advertising any routes or the same routes via both connections?
(i.e. mail server, ftp server, dns server, etc...) Is there any routing
happening on the 'back side', in other words can one router choose to go to
the other router rather than out to the net?

Looking at your stats from below, you don't have much traffic at all, in
either direction. Your loads are low and per packet count (on 5 min moving
average) is low.

The questions about what routes you are receiving are relevant. Often you
have 3 or so options:
1. Receive full-routes (100,000 plus routes)
2. Receive partial routes (i.e. routes for customers that belong to same AS
that you get service from)
3. Default route-only.

Sorry if it seems I'm dragging you along, but there are several factors to
consider when you are attempting to get load-sharing. Especially if you are
connected to 2 separate routers on your provider's backbone.

-chris

privileged. If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender
by return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any
unauthorized use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part
is strictly prohibited. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to
change. ABN AMRO Bank N.V. (including its group companies) shall not be
responsible nor liable for the proper and complete transmission of the
information contained in this communication nor for any delay in its
receipt or damage to your system. ABN AMRO Bank N.V. (or its group
companies) does not guarantee that the integrity of this communication
has been maintained nor that this communication is free of viruses,
interceptions or interference.