a PC directly connected to the internet at the same time it is directly
connected to a corporate network via a VPN allows a malicious user to
compromise the pc in any number of well known ways, and thus gain control of
the PC and voila! have instant access to the corporate net as well - through
a trusted and supposedly secure source!

It is believe that certain well publicized security breaches at Microsoft a
year or so ago were the result of this kind of vulnerability.

companies concerned with the security of their inside network ( my employer
included ) will expressly forbid split tunneling ( the ability to directly
connect to the internet while connected to the company via a VPN ). My
employer requires us to use a PC based firewall that forbids the creation in
connections initiated from the outside. I don't know all the details,
because the company in its wisdom has forbidden user access to the
firewall - it is well hidden within our NT and 2000 operating systems and I
am not enough of a hacker to figure out how to hack it. ;->

the point is that the internet should always be considered hostile, and one
should take the appropriate precautions. any dial up or broadband internet
user is vulnerable to attack or compromise from the internet. when
connecting to a private network via VPN, one should be thinking the same
way.

JMHO

Chuck

""Mark Odette II""  wrote in message