John,

Two things I can think of:

1. The cable provider is probably providing you with a default gateway
*anyways* in your DHCP request. Likely, you don't need that static route
after all.

2. As far as I can tell, your route wouldn't work in any event.  Routing out
via a physical interface works fine in serial point-to-point situations when
the other next-hop router is going to receive the packet anyway... but
routing out via an Ethernet interface will likely just *drop* the packet
onto that broadcast domain (subnet) without pointing it to a specific next
hop. Keep in mind that Ethernet is a broadcast-based multi-access medium. By
routing to the physical Ethernet interface, you're basically dropping the
packet on the wire, not shoving it directly to the next-hop router.

Hope this helps!
Paul