"Michael L. Williams" wrote:

> "Paul Lalonde"  wrote in message
> > but
> > routing out via an Ethernet interface will likely just *drop* the packet
> > onto that broadcast domain (subnet) without pointing it to a specific
next
> > hop.
>
> This raises an interesting question:  If you try to make a static route
that
> routes out an ethernet interface (multi-access medium), does the router
send
> the frame to the Layer 2 broadcast address?  If so, then if there is
another
> router somewhere on that segment, wouldn't it hear and route the packet
> properly, or would it see it as a layer 2 broadcast and it not go any
> further?

One might think that a static route to a broadcast interface type would be
ambiguous for layer 2, and it is.  But what IOS does in that case is just
ARP for the destination IP and hope it gets an answer.  It will work, but
only if some other adjacent router will perform a proxy ARP reply.  Use
"debug arp" to observe this.  I used this trick several years ago when I
didn't want to run a routing protocol on one interface and there were
quite a number of potential next hops (long story).

As for the original question... I compared the supplied config to mine
and it should work, but then I have Comcast, not Roadrunner.  I agree
with Paul Lalonde -- just let the router learn the default route via
DHCP (it works for me).

Once you get it working, you'll want to add some things like an inbound
ACL, pass the domain name to your internal DHCP clients, possibly extend
the internal DHCP lease time, etc.

- Marty