Hi!

timeout xlate: Idle time until a translation slot if freed.

timeout conn: Idle time until a connection slot is freed.

There is a distinction made between translated sessions (produced by nat,
global, static,  access-list, access-group commands)and connected sesssions
when discussing the PIX firewall. Translations are at the IP layer,
connections are at the transport layer. You cab have many connections open
under one translation.

timeout half-closed: Idle time until a TCP half-close connection is freed.

timeout udp: Idle time until an UDP slot is freed.

timeout rpc: Idle time until an UDP slot is freed.

If a given slot has not been used for the idle time specified, the resource
is returned to the free pool.

So one purpose of these commands is resource management. Another purpose is
to provide the 'Adaptive' part of the ASA, as the unused ports will be
closed.

Best regards,

            Tamas Horvath
            network engineer