I see no reason not to use the http keepalive.  You can configure it to
grab some specific small object if you'd like to limit its impact.  We
just grab the our homepage and I haven't noticed a performance impact at
all.

HTH,
John

>>> "Patrick Donlon"  5/2/02 11:15:19 AM >>>
Hi All

I have two web servers which are being load balanced behind a CSS,
this
is working fine. Currently we're using the default ICMP keepalive,
this
is OK if the failure is at this level but when the web services
process
is stopped by the DBA the CSS thinks it's up and running. I've seen
the
different options, tcp, http gets, etc, and would like to know anyone
else's experience in what is the best balance over performance and
detecting the lost of service

Cheers

Pat

[EMAIL PROTECTED]