Both PIX's should be Identical hardware and software wise.

Depending upon which code version that you are using, the configuration is
slightly different. On the primary you will assigns an interface IP address
as well as a failover IP address. The secondary(failover) PIX will pull its
IP's from the primary config. On older versions of code (5.x,4.x) you will
need to connect every interface regardless of whether it Is enabled or
shutdown.

This is not a simple thing to understand so I don't want to just post the
appropriate commands. If done incorrectly, nothing works. I will however
provide some good links!

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/pix/index.htm
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/110/top_issues/pix/pix_index.shtml

In the case of a failover, the secondary PIX will assume the IP address
assigned to the primary. If configured properly with statefull failover, You
will maintain all your sessions through the FW.

Private Internetwork eXchange.

Thanks

Larry