At 1:24 PM -0400 5/3/02, Tom Scott wrote:
>Scenario builders (and users),
>
>If you're looking for scenarios that need attention,
>consider network management (Semester 8 of the Cisco
>Academy curriculum, for example). Using just a few cisco
>routers (say, 2-4), one can build and use reasonably
>simple scenarios. But there's a need for more complex
>internetworks in the range of at least 5-10 routers. The
>question then becomes, How to get the routers affordably?
>
>A previous thread dealt with routing support on Windows.
>One could also use old hardware (486, for example) to run
>Linux Router Project from a floppy in addition to a small
>CCNP lab of 2-3 routers. Does anyone have experience with
>LRP? Would people who are familiar with cisco IOS have much
>difficulty configuring LRP?

Zebra (I assume it's the same project to which you
refer--it's the GNU router) language is very close to IOS.
The other  major freeware dialect, GateD, is much more like JunOS.

You can also increase the complexity by using route generators, as
distinct from pure routers.

>This would be a tres inexpensive solution to building larger
>labs for learning SNMP network management:
>
>* Get a core of 2-3 Cisco routers, and a couple Cisco VLAN
>   switches.

Not sure how you'd be using the switches, but it might turn out to be
cheaper to use a router as an FR switch. If you want SNMP experience
on switches, of course, then they are quite appropriate.

Don't limit the approach to Cisco routers. Bay RS routers really are
architected internally with MIBs as a very basic part of their OS,
rather than interfacing via an agent as I understand the IOS approach
to be. You just might be able to get them cheaper, and I think
there's value in seeing an interoperability trial.