It sounds like you are going down the right path.

My suggestion is to get a 5000 or 2900 (orginal, not
XL series) switch (or as many as you can afford).

Connect at least one 3620 with FE to the switch (again,
whatever you can afford) and use dot1q trunks.  Connect
a FreeBSD or Linux box running Zebra and with tagged
VLAN support (dot1q).  Now you can have a lot of
interfaces on both sides.  You can play around a lot with
that, but for NMS you might have little success since there
are still some problems with subinterfaces and the Cisco MIB's
in some cases.  I believe newer code will solve this problem.
In the Linux case, you might even be able to setup MPLS for
learning.  It might be a lot more difficult to learn ATM or Frame-
Relay or xDSL or Cable/DOCSIS management techniques without
a lot of specialized (read: expensive) hardware.  Then again, if you
really want to learn ATM network management, an LS1010 and/or
3600 ATM, and/or Cat5k ATM blade aren't going to cost too too much
(if you absolutely must learn ATM specifically, this is probably your best
bet).  I'd avoid ATM and other WAN technologies, and concentrate on
LAN network management first, because it costs a lot less.

In any case, a single router and a single switch allow you to learn
a lot about NMS applications and general configuration ability.

Have a look at some of these tools (do a search, I don't want to
get all the URL's):
net-snmp, rancid, tool, jffnms, msyslog, nmis, ncat/rat, argus, mrtg,
mhtg, pancho, rtrmon, scli, seafelt, wandoc, rrdtool, etc

I think ncat/rat, rancid, pancho, mrtg, and net-snmp will interest you
much more than opennms.  They will allow you to do all the neat
management features of CiscoWorks but these tools actually work
really well and  you can get inside of them and play around with things.

These books will also help a lot:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1578701805/qid%3D1020453609/ref%3Dsr%
5F11%5F0%5F1/103-7458544-1431031
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0079137822/qid=1020453551/sr=1-3/ref=