Yes... that's true.... it's not true load balancing.... but it let's call it
load "sharing"... =)

Actually, of the many things we consider load balancing, many aren't true
load balancing but a load sharing that under certain circumstances could be
equal.... like Etherchannel and EIGRP (and other routing protocols) load
"balancing"..  Even under the best configuration Etherchannel has to rely on
the source and/or destination MAC or IP addresses to determine which "pipe"
it takes, unless the statistics of IP and/or MAC addr distribution close to
"random", Etherchannel isn't true balancing.  For "equal-cost load
balancing" with routing protocols, if you're using fast-switching, you only
get per-destination load balancing, not per packet.  To get per-packet load
balancing, you must disable fast switching (i.e. use process switching...
ewww)....   So if you have a router at a remote site with two T1s back to
the home office where the server is, if most of your traffic is PCs talking
to the server, then all of that traffic to that server will choose one of
the two T1s (per-destination) and leave the other relatively unused unless
you enable process-switching......

(see http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/46.html)

It appears that CEF is an exception that can indeed do per-packet
load-balancing without a hit in performance (process switching).... by
default it allows up to 4 paths (1 for BGP) but can be changed...

(see http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/ifaa/pa/much/tech/althb_wp.htm)
(watch for URL wrap)

As for Multilink PPP, I can't find any documentation on Cisco's site or
otherwise that specifically says that it does per-packet load balancing,
however, one of the functions of MLPPP is that it can perform fragmentation
and reassembly of packets over a given size, so if it can do that, I would
assume that it can do per-packet load balancing.......

Anyway...... weren't looking for that long winded response, were ya?  =)

Mike W.