A bridge is used to connect networks often in different buildings up to
several miles apart. Because the bridge does not rely on acknowledgements
like a normal access point it can do this. An access point cannot do this
because it must comply with the 802.11 standard strictly and it will expect
acknowledgements to be received more quickly than could be expected over
those distances.

Bruce