You didn't read his example well enough. He said, "Say you have two
segments connected to a router; one segment off of e0 and one segment off
of e1. If a host on the e0 segment sends a frame to a host on the e1
segment and a collision occurs on the e1 segment before reaching the
destination host, then I believe that the host on e0 is responsible for
re-transmitting the frame, not the router/bridge."

If the e1 interface tries to send the frame and the frame experiences a
collision, the e1 interface retransmits. This is assuming the e1 interface
is configured for half duplex. This is called CSMA/CD. (If the interface is
configured for full duplex and its frame experiences a collision, than
there's a duplex mismatch, and you have a more serious problem.)

Ethernet 101. That may be on the test too, you know.

Priscilla

At 01:03 AM 5/7/02, Kris Keen wrote:
>I'm doing my written tomorrow, I've studied that retransmits are part of the
>Host's job, especially in a TB network. TB's are stupid, they do no error
>recover or anything similar.
>
>You are correct

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com