I've always known routers to "route" and bridges to "learn, filter, forward,
and flood". A co-worker said that if a router is configured with transparent
bridging, it can re-transmit a frame. He said that he heard this somewhere.
I'm pretty sure he's wrong because this just isn't something that a
router/bridge is meant to do. I also searched CCO but came up empty-handed.

For example, say you have two segments connected to a router; one segment
off of e0 and one segment off of e1. If a host on the e0 segment sends a
frame to a host on the e1 segment and a collision occurs on the e1 segment
before reaching the destination host, then I believe that the host on e0 is
responsible for re-transmitting the frame, not the router/bridge.

Has anyone heard of a router configured with transparent bridging
re-transmitting frames? I just can't see how this could happen. However,
I've seen stranger things happen, so I just wanted to get the opinions of
others on this group.

Shawn K.