From: Marko Milivojevic [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 9:27 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Router/Bridge re-transmit frames? [7:43459]

Let me try,

> "The CCIE tests expect you to know that neither a bridge nor router
> re-transmits if a frame experiences a bit error or gets lost somehow".
> Could you please clarify further? Thank you!

        There is distinct difference between bit errors and collisions.

        Retransmitting in a case of bit error or data loss would be error
recovery procedure, which, as such, does not exist on Ethernet layer 2. On
Ethernet network, this is, usually, accomplished by upper layer protocols
(TCP is one example). Listening to collisions on the other hand is defined
by protocol that Ethernet is using (CSMA/CD) and is not considered to be
error recovery procedure.

        Please note that this matter is covered in material needed for CCNA
exam.

Marko.