The home-built Pix strikes me as being more trouble and expense than it is
worth.  I read about someone who made one, and he had to use an expensive
flash card that cost nearly as much as a base-model Pix.  The home-built Pix
has certain obvious legal deficiencies, and, it is safe to say, could never
be resold to someone who might want to run it in a production network.

I'm probably missing something here, but if anyone wants a Pix, there are
some shockingly cheap base models that people can buy new from a Cisco
reseller (around 400-600 dollars, I seem to remember).  I imagine these may
lack some functionality that the more expensive Pixes might have, but at
least people wouldn't have to go on to bulletin boards asking for
license/code  numbers to use to make their firewall work.  And selling your
real Pix or using it a production network would be a possibility.

If you want to build a firewall for the fun of building a firewall, it makes
more sense to go the Linux/Unix route.

Of course, I'm working on R&S, not Security, so there may be some great
advantage to these homebuilt Pixes (over the retail Cisco Pix base models)
that I am unaware of.

""T Christn""  wrote in message
> What about IDE Flash?  Is it possible to use that for a home-built PIX?
> Easy to obtain Compact Flash cards and buy adapters to connect to IDE.
This