Actually, the 5-4-3 rule has everything to do with detecting collisions.
It's
a limiting factor of distance so that a collision will be detected within the
first 64 bytes of a frame's transmission (also known as Ethernet's minimum
frame size).  It's preferable to detect a collision before the frame leaves
the buffer of the transmitting interface - so that retransmission can be
accomplished at the data link layer rather than left to upper layers.

Several months ago, Priscilla and I debated the 7 switch rule.  If you wanted
to search the archives for the entire thread, it was titled "What's the
diameter of your switched network? [7:17489]" and was discussed at the end of
August, 2001.  Here's an excerpt from one of my posts regarding the 7 hop
limit:

>From other statements I've read (Cisco published material) and from the
original excerpt I published, I'd imagine that the placement of the root does
matter.

"Part of this restriction is coming from the age field BPDU carry:
when a BPDU is propagated from the root bridge towards the leaves of the
tree, the age field is incremented each time it goes though a bridge.
Eventually, when the age field of a BPDU goes beyond max age, it is
discarded. Typically, this will occur if the root is too far away from some
bridges of the network. This issue will impact convergence of the spanning
tree."

I'd think that if a bridge were to be the third bridge away from the root,
and
another switch was the third bridge on the far side of the root, I wouldn't
expect to see any problems with MaxAge because I can't see the root being too
far from some of the bridges in the network.  Now if a bridge were to be the
seventh, I could see how that would impose a greater delay and possibly
negatively impact the MaxAge parameter.  Now my question would be... does
this
really apply in today's networks or is this more of a limitation of
yesteryear's "software-based bridges"?

And essentially, that's the conclusion Priscilla and I came to - that the 7
hop radius doesn't really seem to apply to today's switched environments...
You might want to check with her again though - Priscilla just authored a new
book on troubleshooting campus networks and may updated her thinking.

  -- Leigh Anne Chisholm (CCNP, CCDP)  -----Original Message-----