in your travels have you ever run into the gigastack, and its relation to
STP?

the question came up a short time ago. The Cisco gigastack documentation
does not cover STP - only how gigastack works.

essentially, using daisy chained gigastack connections, one can connect up
to 9 switches. If I understand correctly, the Cisco electronics and switch
OS consider this stack a single entity for management purposes - i.e. can be
managed from a single IP address. However, Cisco does not say one way or
another if the electronics and the switch OS treat this stack as a single
device for STP purposes.

I'm guessing, based on this and other discussions that it would have to be a
single device for STP purposes. It just would be nice if Cisco would provide
the specific information.

That brings up the corollary question - if you have on two switches
gigastacked, then how does STP come into play. In a configuration such as
this, again if I understand the documentation correctly, the electronics and
the switch OS behave differently.