Hey Chuck- don't forget your friendly TCP conversations.  They too will
find ways of using facilities (burst) you thought you had :o)

Phil

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of
Chuck
Sent: Sunday, May 19, 2002 12:22 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Network Design... Hmmm [7:44417]

""Steve Watson""  wrote in message
> This was not a comparison of network design methodologies, it was mean
> to be humorous (I totally agree with the top down process). The idea
of
> "build a network and they will come" simply does not work!

CL: au contraire, mon ami! I give you the small brokerage firm I used to
work for. Filled with unsophisticated users. When I arrived there was no
WAN
and no LAN to speak of - the so called LAN was dictated by the quote
service
vendor.

I put in a real LAN with e-mail. That took off like crazy.

I put in a real WAN with the branches able to send e-mail to eachother,
and
that took off even crazier.

I put in an internet connection, and sure there was the usual crap with
people checking out the adult entertainment, but you know, I had guys
who
could prior to my arrival couldn't tun their computers on going out and
finding some realy nice investment sites and services that helped them
tremendously in their business.

At the time of my leaving, the LAN./WAM was starting to show signs of
stress. In the course of my cetification pursuit, I have learned all the
things I did wrong. But I gotta say, you have to start someplace, and it
remains true that if the facilities exist, the user community will find
lot of ways to use those facilities.

> The context of the other book was that no network will function
properly
> if Layer 1 is not designed correctly.
>
> BTW, how many is too many? :-)
>
> Steve