obviously you've never worked in a brokerage firm.... ;->

my point being that you can get away with a lot, up to a certain point. When
that point is reached, you can throw hardware and/or bandwidth at the thing,
and buy some more time. Maybe a lot of time. Or you start over, and do
things right, from the start.

I would suggest that there are special cases even in the most well designed
and planned networks, where there are islands of chaos.

I agree that there is nothing like having whomever tell you what the
solution is, rather than tell you the problem. We need a T1. We need a P5
machine. We need more RAM. Whatever. Working for whom I work for these days,
the answer is always "yes, sir. Sign right here" ;->