Most of the Sybex books I've read have been too "dummied down" to be of any
use by themselves, but Todd Lammle's writing style is easy enough to
understand that you can take a technology you know nothing about, read a
couple pages, then have a handle on the basics of it. From there it's easier
(for me at least) to cross reference with a more detailed book without
getting mired down in the jargon. The ciscopress books worked nicely for me
along those lines, as the old ciscopress ccnp books read like stereo
instructions.

For the IGP's on the routing exam, you may want to check out Solie's CCIE
Practical Studies book. It goes into more detail than you need to for the NP
exams, but everything is demonstrated in lab walk-thru exercises that you
can set up with a few routers. I haven't checked out the ciscopress books
for any of the NP exams (I took mostly the older versions) but you may want
to pick that up, as Solie's book doesn't cover BGP.