I got to thinking about this after posting a question to a company internal
mailing list. Based on some of the responses I received from other
engineers, I wondered at what point one has enough information to answer a
question. At what point asking for further clarification is  essentially a
sign that you don't know the answer and you are just stalling.

Please be assured, I am not looking for "the answer". I have what I need,
including some working configs, which I will post to the list if there is
enough interest.

I am more interested in the opinions of any number of you folks whose
insight I appreciate.

So...... here is the e-mail I sent internally. My question is - given what
you see, do you have enough information to provide an answer? If not, why
not?

Start question:
---------------------

  have a complex QoS traffic shaping rate limiting question.

 internet--->source_router--->gigE_port--->LX_fiber_connection--->gigE
_port---->destination_router--->multiple subnets

 the customer wants to rate limit traffic across the fiber link based on
 destination ip subnet. I'm racking my brain trying to figure out how to do
 this on something other than a frame or an ATM link. Can't seem to find
 the appropriate examples on CCO.

 Question - can one configure different QoS rate limits for different
 destination subnets over the same physical interface? All the example I
 find are for technologies that use PVC's. I had thought policy routing,
 using the route-maps to change TOS bits, and using map classes (?) to
 differentiate, but that severely limits the number of subnets I can
 manage.

 I have found some docs on CCO, but the examples center around MAC and IP
 precedence, not subnet.

 If you have reasonable expertise in QoS rate limiting, can you give me a
 call regarding the options I have?

end of question

remember - I have what I need. I am just curious about the nature of
questions and answers, and the clarification process required to provide
answers. Call this a seminar in the design process, maybe?

I look forward to your sage replies.

Chuck