Chuck,

You have a knack for finding simple solutions that nobody else has thought
of! ;-)

I think it would work to have routers 3 and 4 in your example have a
default route to the HSRP address. I can't think of any reason it wouldn't
work. The only doc I found that mentioned it was an explanation of why PIM
sparse mode doesn't work when doing this, but notice that the doc doesn't
say other things won't work:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/619/hsrpmcast.html

Priscilla

At 06:35 PM 5/28/02, Chuck wrote:
>got to thinking about this for one reason or another.
>
>fundamentally, we look at HSRP as a means of providing failover from LAN
>stations to redundant WAN links, as illustrated:
>
>wan_link_1                          wan_link_2
>        |                                              |
>router_1     (HSRP MAC/IP) router_2
>       |--------------------------------------|
>                   workstations
>

>suppose, however, I have a topology wherein I want downstream routers to
>have HSRP protection:
>

>wan_link_1                          wan_link_2
>        |                                              |
>router_1     (HSRP MAC/IP) router_2
>       |--------------------------------------|
>                  |     workstations    |
>                  |                               |
>           router_3                 router_4
>downstream_group_1       downstream_group_2
>
>If I were to set the quad zero route to the HSRP address configured for
>routers 1 and 2, think this would work?
>

>I'm wondering what the implications might be. any thoughts?
>
>Chuck

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com