I worked at an ISP that had many customers with dual Ethernet connections.
Some of these customers wanted to do what you described, and it worked fine,
as long as the customer configured HSRP so that we could put up static
routes to the customer's networks behind their routers using the HSRP
gateway as the next hop address. The only issue, and it was minor, was
making sure the customer's subnets were advertised to the Internet.

Sincerely,
John Dorffler
CCIE #6677