Mark, this was very helpful. I appreciate the response!!

Jeffrey Reed
Classic Networking, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Mark
Odette II
Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 2:28 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: PIX + VPN Router or Just VPN Router? [7:45315]

This may be the answer to your question...

>From what I gather, your design description says that you have a central
office, with several point-to-point Frame Relay connections to some
remote "sites", as well as you will have in the future, several more
remote "sites" that will be connecting via xDSL, CableModem, or even
local-POP FR-to-Internet connections.  For those broadband and
Local-POP-Frame Internet connections, a VPN Tunnel is needed to connect
to the Central sites' LAN.

For those Broadband and POP-Frame connections to the net, you want to
also give the remote sites internet access, so you figure to just route
them out the Internet GW of the Central Site... which is the same
ingress point of the VPN Tunnel termination.  Here in lays the problem.
You can't route VPN traffic (encrypted data) in and back out the same
interface.  VPN's don't route... PIXen don't route... they only allow
traffic to pass from one interface to the next (defined by rules).

Now, even though the PIX doesn't have "routing" functionality, you can
specify a default route (quad zero) and say what interface to send that
traffic to.  But that's as far as "routing" goes.

Also, the CCIE was probably taking into account for CPU/Memory
horsepower for each remote site's data throughput.

This is what I would do to modify the design plan.

For the remote sites that are connecting via xDSL or Cable-Modem:
Substitute the 1720+PIX 506 for a PIX 501.  This combines the
Firewall/VPN Tunnel and "Router" functionality into to, and allows for
safe access to the internet for those remote offices without having to
traverse the Central Site for this access.  At the same time, the VPN
Tunnels can be dynamically or statically configured.  Most remote
"offices" that use xDSL or Cable-Modem don't have more than 10 users, so
the PIX 501 is perfect for this job.... you have the option of a 10 or
50 user license (read 10 or 50 IPs statically assigned for translation)
anyway.  This would also meet the customers' requirement for cost
efficiency.

If the remote "sites" require more than 5 VPN Peers, i.e., they are
connecting to more than just the Central Site for a partial meshed VPN
configuration, then the 506 and a 1720 should be used instead.

If you are using Local-POP FR Internet connections, I would stick to the
1720/PIX 506 combination, which still gives you that Internet access and
VPN Tunnel support, all without the "Split-Tunnel" security risk.

... And now the caveat to the PIX 501.  You might have some trouble
getting the 501 to work with certain Cable-Modems.  This problem is only
present when the Cable provider is extremely "less-than-helpful" about
MAC Address management and their "policies" on MAC registration in
conjunction with the Modem.  Some Cable-Modems don't have the ability to
locally reset its MAC table registration, and you have to rely on the
cable provider to perform this reset procedure, allowing the PIX
interface to register itself with the Cable-modem/Network.  If they
aren't willing to do it on the basis that they only support PC setups,
then your up a creek with out a paddle.  Otherwise, the PIX works with
most cable-modems without problem.  This goes for the 501 and the 506
IIRC.

Hope this helps.

Mark