Is it giving you an error when you try to config the IPX network number? It
should (if it's not going to add it to the config), but sometimes IOS
doesn't act like it should. ;-)

The reason to use a subinterface in the IPX world is to support multiple
Ethernet encapsulation types. You have to use a different network number
and a different encapsulation on the subinterface than you do on the main
interface or any other subinterfaces.

My router gives me a nice error if I do something wrong:

Check this out. Notice that first I tried to use a network number already
in use on a different interface. Then I tired to use an encapsulation that
was the same as the encap on the main interface. (The default,
novell-ether). I needed to use a unique network number and an encap not
already in use on this interface (or subinterfaces).

Albany#show ipx int e0
Ethernet0 is up, line protocol is up
   IPX address is 100.0000.0c05.3e80, NOVELL-ETHER [up] line-up
   ETC

Albany#config t
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
Albany(config)#int e0.1
Albany(config-subif)#ipx network 200
%IPX network 200 already exists on interface Ethernet1
Albany(config-subif)#ipx network 300
%IPX network 300 already exists on interface TokenRing0
Albany(config-subif)#ipx network 400
%Encapsulation already in use by IPX network 100, on interface Ethernet0
Albany(config-subif)#ipx network 400 encap arpa
Albany(config-subif)#end
Albany#
%SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by console
Albany#
Albany#
Albany#show run
Building configuration...

Current configuration:
!
!
hostname Albany
!
ipx routing 0000.0c05.3e80
!
interface Ethernet0
  ip address 10.10.0.1 255.255.255.0
  ipx network 100
  no mop enabled
!
interface Ethernet0.1
  ipx network 400 encapsulation ARPA
!
interface Ethernet1
  ip address 172.16.50.1 255.255.255.0
  ipx network 200
!
interface Serial0
  no ip address
  shutdown
  no fair-queue
!
interface Serial1
  no ip address
  shutdown
!
interface TokenRing1
  no ip address
  shutdown
!
interface TokenRing0
  ip address 172.16.20.1 255.255.255.0
  ipx network 300
  ring-speed 16
ETC
Albany#

So, not an exact answer, but some hints hopefully!?

Priscilla

At 08:12 PM 5/30/02, Gene Volpe wrote:
>I am trying to configure an IPX network number under a subinterface.  The
>router  takes the command, but it does not show up in the config.  There are
>plenty of other subinterfaces on the same physical interface that have IP
>and IPX network numbers config'd on them.  What am I doing wrong?  Somebody
>mentioned something about an IPX database, much like the VLAN database on a
>2924 CAT?!?!?!?
>
>-TIA
>Gene

Priscilla Oppenheimer