""Wes Stevens""  wrote in message
> On your point one I agree with you. Especially in a market like we have
> today companies with positions where they need someone at a jncie level
they
> may not need to look too far to fill their positions.
>
> On your second point where would you get a list of the jncie's with names
> and addresses? Juniper for sure is not going to give them out. Most of
them
> work for Juniper and they are not going to make it any easier then it is
> steal them.  Juniper is probably like cisco was in the early days. The
best
> way to get a good engineer is to steal them from Juniper.

I already answered this privately to you.  I'll spare the newsgroups the
details, but the short answer is contacts and back-channels.  For example,
clearly Juniper the company will not  give out such information in a formal
request.  But let's just say that if you know the right people, you should
be able to get this information in an unofficial capacity without much
problem.  And anyway, if your job is recruiting, it's your job to make sure
you know the right people.

> As far a knowing someone that has always been a factor. Peter if you are
> reading this, when Juniper gets ready to open up a Latin America office
I'm
> [...]
> >see
> >public postings for positions like CEO, even though I know that many
> >companies are looking for one.
> >
> >#2) The warping of small numbers.  This is somewhat related to point #1.
> >What this is all about is that when the numbers of available candidates
are
> >small, it is often inefficient to publicly post a job for them, rather a
> >company who wants one should just individually contact each available
> >candidate, depending on how many there really are.  For example, let's
say
> >your local NFL team loses its quarterback in mid-season to a
season-ending
> >injury and decides they need a replacement to make a playoff run.  Are
they
> >going to advertise it on Monster?  No, of course not.  The head coach
knows
> >full well that there are only a handful of available guys in the world
who
> >could reasonably step in and lead their team, and the coach probably
> >already
> >knows them by name and how to contact them.  There's no need to publicly
> >advertise a job when you already know who the prospective candidates are.
> >
> >This might apply to the JNCIE.  I don't know if it does, but it might.
> >Consider this.  There are only 65 of them.  Within a day or two  of
> >investigating, I could probably find out all their names and contact
info,
> >because there really aren't that many of them. So would I really need to
> >publicly advertise my job?   Maybe, maybe not.  I think only when the
> >numbers get large do the benefits of publicly posting become apparent.
> >

> >""Wes Stevens""  wrote in message
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > nrf, you and Peter both make good points on what is advertized on the
> >job
> > > sites may not tell the whole Juniper job story. The supply may well be
> >low
> > > enough that there are jobs to be found. Still I would think that there
> >would
> > > be some jobs advertized. Even a search on Dice for just Juniper did
not
> >turn
> > > up much. A few jobs for a C++ person with Juniper skills and a few low
> >level
> > > type jobs was all. It really does not matter for most of us as there
is
> >no
> > > way to get that cert unless you work on Juniper equipment at work.
> >Building
> > > your own Juniper lab at home is not realistic.
> > >
> > > By the way Juniper is looking like they will come in with sales in the
> >$540m
> > > range down almost 40% from last year and most analysts are saying
> >carrier
> > > spending will not pick up until the second half of 2002.

In
> >the
> >end
> >the