So let's use your revised numbers.  You said previously that Juniper might
book only $500 million of revenue for the year.   And I said Cisco would
probably book $20 billion.  OK, so that's a ratio of  40:1.   Still doesn't
equal the ratio of CCIE's to JNCIE's (~7500 to 65, or ~115:1).

My point is that saying that Juniper is going to sell $750 million or $500
million or whatever is just re-arranging deck-chairs on the Titanic.  It
modifies the numbers, but doesn't change the essential analysis, which is
that there seems to be a much lower supply of Juniper-trained people that
more-than-compensates for the lower demand for them.  Again, this is why
UNIX people make more on average than Windows people, even though everybody
knows there are more Windows jobs than UNIX jobs out there.

""Wes Stevens""  wrote in message
> Just a couple of points:
>
> Cisco's sales on a quarterly basis bottomed last july. They have been
> recovering since. Last quarter they actually beat the sales from the year
> before. Fical year 02 which ends in july will be down 15% compared to
> Juniper's 02 ending in dec which will be down 40%. The enterprise market
is
> in much better shape then the sp market.
>
> Cisco over paid badly for quite a few of their acquisitions. But they
paided
> for them with stock when it was at a very inflated price. That makes the
> price they paid not nearly so bad. That they bought companies with
products
> that they really had no place for in their product lines is another issue.
> What hurts with the two recent Juniper purchases is they were cash/stock
> transactions with Juniper's stock sitting at very near it's all time low.
>
> Juniper re-issued  employee stock options last week. It will be
interesting
> to see what effect that has from a stock point of view.
>
> As you point out they have the biggest and baddest router out there right
> now. The company is not going away. But from a shareholder and a job
> prospect point I think both are going to need patience for another year.
>
> >From: "nrf"
> >To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >Subject: Re: How do I approach the company about my CCIE [7:40261]
> >Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 11:35:23 -0400
> >
> >By no means am I a Juniper fanatic (nor am I a Cisco fanatic).  But allow
> >me
> >to add some points here.
> >

> >""Wes Stevens""  wrote in message
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Peter I have been following and trading Juniper stock for years. In
the
> > > beginning everyone loved it because it was so focused - just high end
> > > routers. Two things came together in 2000 to help them grow sales 6x
> >over
> > > 1999 one was the massive build out of the telcos and the other was the
> >fact
> > > that they had a year lead on cisco for delivering 192 interfaces.
> >
> >Juniper's biggest opening was indeed due to the fact that Cisco was late
in
> >delivering its 192 interfaces.   But even now that Cisco has its 124xx
> >series out, Juniper's products still enjoy key technical advantages, as
> >detailed in Lightreading and other studies.   Perhaps the key advantage
is
> >that Cisco's routers (all series) have been notorious for having its
> >performance drop precipitously whenever you turn on a significant number
of
> >services,  something that does not happen with Juniper.  Other advantages
> >include faster BGP convergence and the ability to handle huge BGP route
> >tables, which is important if you want to implement lots of RFC2547
VPN's.
> >Not to mention the bizarre Engine 0/1/2/4 paradigm and of course the
sheer
> >brawn of the new Juniper T640 which Cisco will not match anytime soon.
> >
> >That's not to say that Cisco doesn't hold some advantages of its own.
For
> [...]
gained
> >overall share for the simple reason that the whole provider subsegment is
> >down.  However, if you're talking about gaining share within that
provider
> >subsegment, then this unclear. The only studies that have shown such a
> >thing
> >is Dell'Oro, and these studies are problematic, specifically because they
> >choose to include any router that is OC-192 capable is counted as a
> >provider
> >sale.  Doesn't matter whether that router is actually sold to a provider
or
> >an enterprise.  It also doesn't matter whether the actual OC192
interfaces
> >themselves are sold, just the chassis.  It's been well know that Cisco
has
> >sold quite a few of those 124xx routers to enterprises.  And in fact, no
> >significant Juniper customer has been lost to Cisco.    So it's difficult
> >say using just Dell'Oro whether share within the provider subsegment was
> >really gained or not.
> >
> > >This will be especially a problem in
> > > markets outside the us where cisco already has a presence and juniper
> >does
> > > not. The last two purchases by Juniper say the reconize the problem as
> >they
> > > are trying to broaden their product line. But they paid too much for
> > > Unishere and it will be dilutive this year.
> >
> >Well, I would say that if Cisco is calling Juniper too acquisitive, then
> >it's really a case of the pot calling the kettle black.    Cisco has been
> >one of the most rapaciously acquisitive companies in history.   And in
fact
> >much of the reason that Cisco has been so successful is precisely due to
> >certain key acquisitions like the Crescendo acquisition.
> >
> >As far as paying too much, well,  it's not like Cisco hasn't been guilty
of
> >this as well.  Let's face it, certain acquisitions just didn't work for
> >Cisco, remember Stratacom?  Others worked from a strategy standpoint, but
> >not from a financial standpoint.  Cerent and Arrowpoint had fine
products,
> >and their technologies have been useful to fill key holes in Cisco's
> >product
> >line.  But let's face facts.  Arrowpoint was not worth $5.7 billion, and
> >Cerent was not worth $7 billion.
> > >
> > > The bottom line is that the big telcos are in real trouble and there
is
> > > still a lot of competition and excess capacity out there. Their capex
> > > spending is going to be the last thing to recover and along with it
> >Juniper.
> > >
> > > Another good indication is in the job market. Go to dice.com or
hotjobs
> >and
> > > do a search on jncie and ccie and see what you get for both.

When