Point taken,

 I got my BS as a computer science major at Rutgers. The major was hard and
the midterm and final exams were alot harder than the certifciation exams
I've taken. I've spoken with people who recieved their Masters from there
and their curriclulum was even more demanding. I can't imagine how difficult
the Ph. D courses would be here or an academically superior university( and
I'm sure there's plenty better universities). I can guarantee you that they
would have to know their s$%t. As low level as my courses were we had to
know the TCP/IP very well. Some of our projects were writing client server
programs which required us to come up with our own protocols. Ex. a chat
server using UDP that would require us to write protocol to handle the
sequencing and retranmissions to ensure reliablity over UDP. These
assignments really taught more about TCP/IP than the CCNA CCNP books
required. IMHO there should be an exam solely on TCP/IP to get your CCNP.
Perhaps using Richard Stevens TCP/IP illustrated as the textbook.

 My point was that if our friend with the CSS1 is looking to accomplish
something that noone else will easily achieve shoot for the Ph. D.  I should
have been more clear. A Ph D in a bul*&*t major from a bul*&*t college won;t
get any respect from me either. But I will give a  person with a Ph D. in
Computer Science or any engineering  from a decent university alot more
respect than the average CCNP,CSS1 or whatever.

""Michael Williams""  wrote in message
> sam sneed wrote:
> > If you want to go for a challenging Cert that proves your
> > intelligence go
> > get a Ph. D. At least we all know you have to work hard for
> > those.
>
> Work hard is about the only credit I am willing to give someone with a
Ph.D