coincidentally, I opened up Doyle as part of my research into the question.

As I understand things, the ip local policy command and process is for
packets that the router originates, such as routing protocol advertisements,
hellos, pings, etc. As such, ip local policy is for traffic originated by
the router itself, and outbound.

OTOH, ip policy is for inbound traffic on an interface that ( and here is
the point of clarification required ) is routed. My question is essentially,
if the packet destination is on a directly connected network, does that mean
it is not "routed" and therefore is not "policy routed" either. Does that
make sense?

In solution to my particular problem, I rewrote my nat list on the external
router such that I referenced a route map:

! access-list 101 determines which source addresses are allowed onto the CCC
network
!
access-list 101 permit ip 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 host 10.1.1.1   ! business
partner extranet server
access-list 101 permit ip 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 host 172.31.2.1   ! shared
e-mail services server
access-list 101 deny ip 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 172.31.0.0 0.0.255.255  !
other organization subnets that are forbidden
access-list 101 permit ip 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 any  ! shared internet
access
! INSIDE_NET CCC, DPH, OR INTERNET
! used with nat pool construct

!
ip nat pool cccnat 172.31.10.25 172.31.10.250 netmask 255.255.255.0
ip nat inside source route-map CCC pool cccnat
!
route-map CCC permit 10
match ip address 101

route-map CCC deny 20  ! probably unnecessary

the neat thing about this construct is that only those packets with the
appropriate source AND destination addresses get out onto the network, NAT
or otherwise. Packets that are not NAT'ed can't be routed because there is
no gateway of last resort on the edge/NAT routers, nor does policy routing
on the central router permit anything other than packets with a source that
was created by the NAT process.

Chuck