my results seem to disagree with your thought.

172.31.1.1 ---- loop0-------router----------WAN----------172.31.5.0 network

                                                 --------------WAN----------
172.31.3.0 network

the route-map I used went something like this

access-list 101 permit ip 172.31.5.0 0.0.0.255 172.31.1.0 0.0.0.255
access-list 101 permit ip 172.31.5.0 0.0.0.255 172.31.3.0 0.0.0.255

route-map filter permit 10
match ip address 101
set interface null0

when I pinged from the 172.31.5.0 net to 172.31.3.0 net, the debug ip policy
showed packets matching the policy and being forwarded to null0

when I pinged from 172.31.1.1 there was no debug generated, and the
172.31.5.0 network received ICMP replies.

that's why I asked the question.