Also, doesn't the SANS Institute publish the papers that their
certification candidates write? In other words, this may not have been
written by a security guru. It may have been written by someone trying to
pass the certification hurdles, one of which is the requirement to write a
white paper. On the other hand, the testing seems quite valid (if old) and
the paper is well written with good implications and recommendations (if a
bit obvious). SANS is very strict, from what I hear.

Priscilla

At 02:39 PM 6/4/02, Rik Guyler wrote:
>Pete, bear in mind that this document is 2 years old.  The IOS version on
>the switch was 11.2.  Anybody care to speculate on how much has changed
>since 11.2?  How about the changes in Dot1Q since then?
>
>Nonetheless, I don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling with separating external
>and internal traffic with VLANs.  I like physical separation coupled with
>firewall protection.  I believe it's not just protecting what has been
>hacked already but minimizing what can be hacked in the future.
>
>Rik

VLAN
> >to another. See this artical for more info:
> >http://www.sans.org/newlook/resources/IDFAQ/vlan.htm

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com