I've seen some of Cisco's private VLAN setup.  The way I've seen it
implemented is on a DMZ switch.  Say you have 3 servers on your DMZ, web,
mail, and ftp.  If each of those servers is plugged into a different port on
the same switch and on the same network, you can configure each of them to
be on a private vlan.  Reason being if somebody compromises or hacks into
your web server, they will not be able to get access to the other two
servers.  Because to get there, they'd have to go through the firewall
first.  If the servers were not on a private vlan, the attacker could access
the other 2 servers via the switch.