PIX's and routers capable of running IDS run a very limited version of IDS.
I believe they only catch 59 signatures which isn't very much.  It's not bad
for a small company that has a PIX that would like to start down the path of
having a true IDS some day.

I'm not sure what you mean about Snort being recognized by the PIX.  I would
guess that you mean shunning which the PIX does not support regardless of
whether you use Snort or a Cisco IDS solution.  Only the routers support
shunning.

I personally use Snort for my small-medium clients since it's free, has a
large install base, and can run on multiple platforms.  If I have a client
that is an all Windows shop I can put in on Win2k.  If they are pro-Unix, I
can put it on Linux or even Solaris.  There is a lot more flexibility than
some of the other IDS solutions for a lot less money.

I doubt that I would desire an MS solution even if they did come out with
one.  I don't trust Bill when it comes to security.