I don't think it matters how many are in a group.  If they're not servicing
the same virtual IP, does it really matter what group they're in?

Just thinking out loud....

Here's a good answer for ya.... =)  Convert the 6509s to Native IOS, then
just run HSRP between the two active MSFCs.... done!

Mike W.