"Frank Merrill"  wrote in message
> Michael L. Williams wrote:
> >
> > Yeah... I don't get this....... I know there aren't any 2950s
> > and 3550s that
> > support power, but there's the 3524-PWR-XL-EN switch that does
> > provide
> > inline power..... Can't they make up their mind as to whether
> > they want to
> > do it or not?!?!?!
>
> Yes, they do want to do it, and will retire the 3524-PWR as soon as they
can.

Uh.... if they DO want to do it (have switches with inline power), then why
would they want to retire the 3524-PWR?!?!?!  ( I know there's the
4000/6000s but I doubt you'll see someone putting a 4000 switch in an
offiste that may only have 20 PCs but may want inline power for IP Phones or
wireless)

> > As far as the 3550 replacing the 5000, it says "However, the
> > only switching
> > features tested during this time will be those common to both
> > devices -
> > additional features on the Catalyst 3550 will only be tested
> > after November
> > 4th, 2002."  What are they referring to?  It's still going to
> > suck for those
> > people because they may or may not end up in a lab with a 5000
> > (CatOS) or a
> > 3550 (IOS).  .... Am I off base here?
>
> I think so.  It's just a box.  What diffence does it make what type it is.
> If they are going to certify people as 'expert' in internetworking, then
> what difference does the type of router or switch make?  It's just a box
> that does layer 2 and layer 3 functions.  If you are attempting the lab,
you
> should be able to handle it, and I'm sure you can.

What difference does it make which box?  Don't get me wrong, I can use IOS
and CatOS both no problem.  But I also don't think it's right to have some
people show up to the lab and not know exactly what equipment to expect
(because they may have just changed it the day before), unlike every other
CCIE candidate before them who knew precisely what equipment they were
dealing with (every other CCIE candidate except for the first ones that went
through before study guides and bootcamps).  Personally, I wish they would
stop shipping 6x00s with CatOS and just go forward with Native IOS.  I mean,
the CatOS is ancient, and it's about time Cisco unified the user interface
and commands.

Mike W.