Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:

> >  I have come up with the following:
> >
> >"The Destination Address field indicates the destination
> address as
> >specified in the Bridge Group Address table. For IEEE
> Spanning-Tree Protocol
> >BPDU frames, the address is 0x800143000000.
>
> That is bit-reversed. You must have found a document that
> covers Token Ring.

Indeed, this is a token ring refernce I quote

> >I guess it also depends on the definition of
> multi/broad/unicast.
>
> It better not depend on that. There shouldn't be any argument
> on those
> definitions. ;-)
>
> Multicast means a group address. The first bit of the
> destination MAC
> address (which is the first bit transmitted) is a one so that
> every device
> knows to look at the address. A NIC driver software supports an
> application
> telling the NIC which particular multicasts to take in.
>
> Broadcast means every device in the broadcast domain. The first
> bit and all
> bits in the MAC destination address are ones. Every NIC in the
> broadcast
> domain takes in the frame and interrupts the host CPU to see if
> the rest of
> the frame is interesting.
>
> Unicast means a specific address. The first bit of the
> destination MAC
> address (which is the first bit transmitted) is a zero.

In terms of the definitions, I was reading through the Perlman book and
noted question of the "necessity to distinguish between multicast and
broadcast".  I agree that the terms a concretely defined, but whether Cisco
subscribes to those definitions might be in question

Thanks again... your info certainly cleared this mess up.