At 08:34 AM 6/18/02, Brian Backer wrote:
>that was a typo... meant igmp

IGMP isn't relevant either. IGMP doesn't do multicast routing. It's just
used by an end host to register with a local router to receive an IP
multicast stream. For multicast routing, you would use PIM, MOSPF, DVMRP.

Plus, IGMP has to do with IP multicast, whereas we were talking about the
more fundamental concept of sending to a MAC multicast destination address.

Cisco tries to teach IP multicast without teaching people about basic MAC
layer concepts, causing them to think IP multicast is all there is. It's sad.

Priscilla

> > I don't think it can be multicast.  If it were, then it
>  would possibly
> > follow IGRP routes and traverse WAN links... no good.
>
>Uh, how's that?
>

> > Gotta be Broadcast :)

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com