"Priscilla Oppenheimer"  wrote in message
> At 12:17 AM 6/22/02, Tim Potier wrote:
> >Lets say I have HSRP configured on a series of routers... I know clients
are
> >sending packets to the MAC/IP of the well known "virtual MAC" with Cisco
> >equipment.  Assume the receiving station recieves the packet directly
from
> >the router participating in HSRP with the highest priority... what is the
> >source MAC the receiving station sees?
>
> The reply will come from the actual MAC address of the router interface.
At
> this point, the router is just forwarding packets. It doesn't care that
> HSRP is configured

I was thinking the same thing.  Sure, a client that sends to the Virtual IP
for the HSRP gateway uses the virtual MAC to send to, but as far as return
traffic, it seems the router would just receive the packet, lookup which
interface it should go out, then rewrite the source/dest MACs in the frame
and send it out.... no HSRP involved....

Mike W.