hmmm maybe there was a misunderstanding on my part of an earlier post that
mentioned "The only time you see the virtual MAC address is on the original
request from the host. Forwarded requests and replies don't use it. ".

I understood this to mean that after the initial set up of communications
that the virtual mac address was not used in subsequent data transmissions.

This will be one for a lab experiment on my part.  Until I see it the result
with my own eyes it will be a question.

Kim

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121cgcr/ip_c
> /ipcprt1/1cdip.htm#xtocid23
>
> Yes, HSRP creates a single "virtual" IP and MAC pair. Yes, when one router
> fails, the standby router "assumes" control of this virtual IP and MAC
pair.

> From an end station standpoint, nothing has changed. The end station knows
> the virtual IP, as configured in it's own settings, or as received as part
> of its DHCP configuration. In either case, no end station knows all of the
> IP's of all of the members of the HSRP group. Unless things have changed
> recently, there is no way to configure multiple default gateways on a
> Windows machine, at least. This is the reason HSRP, and now VRRP, were
> developed. If the end station does not already know the MAC of the default
> gateway, it sends an ARP request, as is standard operating procedure for
any
> host seeking the MAC of an IP. The active router replies with the virtual
> MAC.
>
> You may also want to refer to the VRRP RFC. VRRP is the open standard
> intended to replace the several proprietary methods that now exist. The
> first couple of pages provide a good explanation and a good background of
> the problem to be solved.
>
> ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2338.txt
>
> Tom
>

> ""LongTrip""  wrote in message
> > So you are saying the client never sees the MAC address of RouterA?  It
> only
> > sees the MAC address of the "Virtual Router"?
> >
> > Kim
> >

> > > From: "Michael L. Williams"
> > > Date: 2002/06/23 Sun AM 11:29:24 EDT
> > > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > Subject: Re: HSRP [7:47177]
> > >
> > > This isn't quite right.  See comments below.
> > >
> > > "Kim Graham"  wrote in message
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > will
> address".

> After
> > an
> the
> RouterA

> > > Router A never tells Client A that "Router A will be handling your
> > > requests".  As you mentioned, Client A talks to the Virtual Router via
> the
> > > Virtual IP address which it ARPs to find the Virtual MAC.  Client A
> never
> > > knows which of the HSRP routers is "intercepting" and processing it's
> > > requests....  When Client A sends a frame to the Virtual MAC to go out
> of
> > > it's gateway, both Router A and Router B "hear" the packet, but only
the
> > > HSRP Active router will process it.  So if, the janitor steps in and
> > unplugs
> > > Router A, then after Router B misses enough Hello packets from Router
A,