This brings up a question.  I understand that after the initial "hi I will
be handling your requests please use me as your destination mac address".
(Router talking to client).

But what happens when the initial router fails and HSRP kicks in? After an
unreachable, would ClientA send out an arp or would RouterB initiate the
arping to re-establish connections to any client that was using RouterA
after it noticed that RouterA was not responding?

Scenario:

ClientA ----- RouterA/B(HSRP) ------ ClientB

ClientA  sends a packet to ClientB
ClientA  talks to the Virtual RouterA/B -- RouterA/B sends to ClientB
RouterA/B tells ClientA -- RouterA will be handling your requests.
RouterA/B tells ClientB -- RouterA will be handling your requests to ClientA
ClientA then sends more packets to ClientB via RouterA.
ClientB responds to ClientA via RouterA.

Janitor comes in and accidentally unplugs RouterA's power cord.

ClientA now has to re-establish a connection with ClientB.

I have seen the above scenario happen in a failover test when implementing a
new core but did not have a bug in my ear to watch the MAC addresses.  It
has my curiosity perked.

In theory I beleive RouterB would re-establish communication after a failed
"hi are you there packet to RouterA".  I will have to wait until a lab is
set up to play out the scenario.

Kim